Deadline: 12th August 2016
Duty Station: Wakiso, Uganda
Reports to: Program Director
Pangea Educational Development (PED) is a US founded non-profit organization dedicated to empowering schools and unifying communities through sustainable education. PED believes in the liberating power and opportunities provided by a quality education. Our model was developed to empower schools to improve their own educating circumstances: the school environment, livelihoods of teachers, and access for under resourced students and to do so in a way that is sustainable.
Job Summary: The Lead Teacher will work alongside teachers from our four partner schools in Uganda and within their communities. The Lead Teacher will work at the forefront of our professional development program, working with teachers at all levels to grow their teaching techniques in new and innovative ways by creating and implementing professional development sessions as well as visiting teacher classrooms to observe practices. The Lead teacher will both administer and develop programming for PED’s Community Center that works directly with students and community members.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Lead Teacher is in charge of developing and facilitating our teacher training program. They will work in collaboration with the US staff to define, create and implement strategies, using the most current effective educational strategies for the design, implementation and evaluation of programs that facilitateprofessional development and continuous learning for all employees. Program focuses include literacy instruction, numeracy instructionand assessing students to identify academic interventions.
- Carrying out continuous follow ups and observations outside of formal trainings
- Working closely with the CEO to develop, administer and analyze student and teacher assessments.
- Develop and administer literacy and computer literacy programs
- Supporting the Program Director with additional program development as needed
- Identifying and assisting with the applications for grant opportunities for professional development programs
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Education.
- At least two years teaching experience is mandatory
- Broad knowledge in literacy instruction is required
- Prior leadership experience in the educational sector is required
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills in English
- Prior grant writing experience is desired
- Demonstrates a passion and incorporation of progressive and innovative teaching techniques
- Computer fluency and understanding of multiple educational technology platforms
- We are seeking an individual whose dedication to the value of aneducation matches our own.
- We are seeking an individual who has a heart of empowering our partner schools and communities we serve.
- We are seeking an individual who is willing to work odd and sometimes long, exhaustive hours to do what is right and not justwhat is easy or will suffice.
- We are seeking an individual who can laugh as hard as they can work.
- We are seeking an individual who is not just looking for a job, but an avenue to pursue their passion.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should submit an updated CV and cover letter to email@example.com