Job Title: Business Operations and Coordination Intern (UN internships in Uganda)
Organisation: UN Resident Coordinator’s Office
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: RCO Field Coordination and Business Operations Specialist
UN internships in Uganda: The United Nations is an impartial and trusted partner in Uganda, supporting the Government to achieve its development goals. The United Nations Country Team (UNCT), is comprised of 22 resident and non-resident UN agencies. The UN Resident Coordinator/UNDP Resident Representative (RC/RR) leads the UNCT and is the highest representative of UNDP in Uganda. The RC/RR is also the Designated Official for security for UN Uganda. The UN Resident Coordinator is assisted in her coordination role in the field by United Nations Area Coordinators (UNACs) in the areas where the UN has a strong presence on the ground. The UNAC system is a UNCT-integrated coordination system at the field level that convenes UN agency representatives through regular Area Coordination Team meetings. The UNAC system seeks to accelerate the implementation of Delivering as One at the field level in Acholi and West Nile, Karamoja and South West.
UN internships in Uganda The Business Operations and Coordination Intern will work in liaison with the Operations Management Team (OMT) comprising of heads of operations, and the United Nations Area Coordinators (UNACs) in the areas where the UN has a strong presence on the ground. The incumbent will facilitate UNDAF implementation operationally, under the UNCT’s guidance, the OMT has developed the Business Operations Strategy (BoS) to a) promote UN system coherence; b) common services harmonization; c) service quality and efficiency; and d) reduction of transactions cost. The intern will support the RCO OMT/BoS focal point in providing common services business coordination support in Kampala including the UN’s presence in Moroto, Gulu and Mbarara.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Under the overall guidance of the Resident Coordinator and the direct supervision of the RCO Field Coordination and Business Operations Specialist, the Coordination Intern will support the Resident Coordinator’s Office in a wide range of UN coordination-related tasks, including:
- Business Coordination Support:
- Render support to OMT annual review and planning process;
- Support BoS Implementation and Reporting by updating the Knowledge Management system in relations to various OMT working groups;
- Attend various working group meetings and keep abreast of the emerging issues:
- Support common procurement;
- Common Human Resource management;
- Provide support in common logistics and administration;
- Common ICT;
- Common Finance;
- Harmonized Approach to Cash Transfers (in collaboration with programme colleagues).
- Support the tracking of common services cost reduction and efficiency gains through LTAs and MoUs usage;
- Engage with a diverse group of partners and close collaboration with all UN entities in the country.
- Perform any other tasks as may be assigned by the RCO Field Coordination and Business Operations Specialist;
Internship training benefits:
- The intern is expected to develop excellent secretariat skills including meeting planning and preparation, organization, minute taking and follow up;
- The intern is expected to learn the structures of the UN coordination mechanisms at country level;
- The intern will have the opportunity to participate in various high-level meetings coordinated or organized by the RCO.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the UN Resident Coordinator’s Office Business Operations and Coordination Intern should be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher from a recognized institution) in Business Administration, Management, Accounting, Procurement, Finance, Economics or related fields;
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent) in any of the fields listed above; and
- Have graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) and (b) above) and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation;
- The applicants must be able to adapt to an international, multicultural, multilingual environment, have good communication skills and can work in a team;
- Previous experience from volunteering or extra-curricular activities linked to the Vision and Mission of the UN would be considered an asset.
- Language: Fluency in English is essential.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Advocates and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Consistently approaches work with professionalism, energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates strong ability to manage relationships with diverse stakeholders;
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills, adapting to diverse stakeholders and audiences;
- Demonstrates strong planning and organization skills;
- Contributes to teamwork within RCO and displays flexibility with regard to assigned tasks;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates desiring to serve the UN Resident Coordinator’s Office as an Intern should express their interest by visiting the UN recruitment website and clicking Apply Now.
Deadline: 21st April 2017