Job Title: Administrative Assistant – UNHCR Uganda Jobs 2021
Organization: UNHCR Uganda
Job Location: Uganda
Vacancy Notice: Internal/ External Vacancy notice 007/Temp/2021
Position Number: T/007/01/21
UNHCR Uganda Profile:
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is a UN agency mandated to aid and protect refugees, forcibly displaced communities, and stateless people, and to assist in their voluntary repatriation, local integration or resettlement to a third country. UNHCR was created in 1950 to address the refugee crisis that resulted from World War II. The 1951 Refugee Convention established the scope and legal framework of the agency’s work, which initially focused on Europeans uprooted by the war. Beginning in the late 1950s, displacement caused by other conflicts, from the Hungarian Uprising to the decolonization of Africa and Asia, broadened the scope of UNHCR’s operations. Commensurate with the 1967 Protocol to the Refugee Convention, which expanded the geographic and temporal scope of refugee assistance, UNHCR operated across the world, with the bulk of its activities in developing countries.
The Administrative Assistant will provide administrative assistance to the immediate supervisor and/or Head of the Office, and/or to the Unit as a whole to ensure that routine services and activities within the administrative domain are properly implemented. As per specific instructions, the incumbent may require liaising with other internal or external entities, to ensure effective delivery of services and achievement of objectives. The assignments are mostly standard tasks including limited interpretation of subject matter and information exchange between staff in the office, at the duty station and external officials of other institutions to ensure mutual understanding. The incumbent’s workload and the assignments will remain under constant guidance and direction of the supervisor.
The Administrative Assistant is a position within an office/Division/Bureau that requires basic knowledge of administrative rules, procedures as well as operational standards of a UNHCR office. The nature of certain administrative/personnel functions require discretion and confidentiality.
Roles and Responsibilities for UNHCR Uganda Jobs 2021:
- Participate in the assessment of operational and security infrastructure needs in each UNHCR office and staff accommodation in responsibility.
- Maintain an up-to-date inventory of all infrastructure and equipment in the facilities.
- Actively participate in meetings related to facilities management to ensure that all decisions taken meet the UNHCR’s operational and security requirements.
- Provide support in all related activities connected with the implementation of the required facilities management services in the facilities under his/her responsibility.
- Check and ensure that all office buildings and guesthouse lights are functioning well.
- Check and ensure that all air conditions at the office and guesthouses are functioning well.
- Assist in the identification of basic repair and maintenance needs and requirements of the office and guesthouse including electrical installations/replacing light bulbs, plumbing, basic carpentry, generators, and water pumps maintenance.
- Support with the handling of minor repairs in relation to the replacement of faucet washers and spindles, faulty window latches, broken tank toilet handles, unplugging clogged toilets and drains, changing light bulbs, tightening loose hinges or door mechanisms, diagnostic and repair of stand-alone door lock units, etc.
- Performing tasks that involve hanging of bulletin boards, pictures, and necessary items used in the residence rooms and office.
- Inspect office furniture on a regular basis and providing appropriate maintenance where possible.
- Carry out tasks related to the guesthouse and office compounds like overseeing the preparation of the room for meetings, new guests, offices, addressing all maintenance needs, fixing toilets, water, TV, doors, etc.
- Report defaults in the compound; make sure that water and electricity are available at any time in the guesthouse and office compound.
- Support and follow up with booking of accommodation at UNHCR Guest houses and accommodation at UNDSS cleared Hotels for staff on mission.
- Undertake other tasks or assignments within his /her area of responsibility as directed by Supervisor
Minimum Qualifications for UNHCR Uganda Jobs 2021
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Administrative Assistant job should have completed a High school diploma or bachelor’s degree or higher in Business Administration, Finance, Office Management, Human Resources or other related field or other clearly related disciplines. Required.
- One year of previous work experience relevant to the function is required.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Analytical Thinking
- Planning and Organizing
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
- Additional UN language or local language is desirable
How To Apply for UNHCR Uganda Jobs 2021
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications through the link below.
Deadline: 23rd September 2021
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
Subscribe to Blog via Email
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.