IRC Uganda Jobs 2022 – Protection Manager
Job Title: Protection Manager – IRC Uganda Jobs 2022
Organization: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Duty Station: Bidibidi, Uganda
Reports to: Senior Protection Manager
International Rescue Committee (IRC) Profile
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (www.rescue.org) is a world leader in relief, rehabilitation, and post-conflict development services for those uprooted or affected by violent conflict and oppression. The IRC is currently working in over 40 countries around the world, addressing both the immediate and lifesaving needs of conflict affected people in emergencies and the reconstruction needs of post-conflict societies.
The IRC began programming in northern Uganda in 1998 in response to mass displacement and devastation wrought by rebel group, the Lord’s Resistance Army. In 2002, the IRC expanded to the remote, conflict-affected region of Karamoja and in 2011, began working with refugees in Kampala. Monitoring the influx of South Sudanese refugees at the end of 2015, the IRC began scaling up its response to refugees arriving in the West Nile region. By promoting durable solutions that deliver on the interdependent aims of saving lives, strengthening institutions, and supporting social cohesion, the IRC in Uganda is laying the building blocks for long-term stability and development – bringing people from harm to home. The IRC currently works in 9 districts in Uganda, including Kitgum, Lamwo, Kyegegwa, Moroto, Amudat, Yumbe, Arua, Kasese and Kampala.
The Protection Manager will work alongside the Senior Protection Manager to guide and oversee the day-to-day program implementation in the field. The Protection Manager supports on all aspects of general protection & community services programming and ensures that appropriate activities are developed by the teams in response to issues being raised by Persons of Concern and communities. As a member of the ‘collective leadership’ team in PRoL, the Protection Manager is responsible for effective internal coordination between the general protection teams and other sectors ensuring linkages with the Legal assistance and M&E teams within the PRoL programme. As guided by the Senior Protection Manager, he/she will engage in external representation and coordination with other relevant actors (among which UNHCR, government counterparts, and other national and international NGOs), as well as participating in local‐level coordination forums.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Develop and ensure timely implementation of work plans for all general protection activities
- Effectively manage all budget items under his/her responsibility to ensure spending is timely and in accordance with donor requirements and organizational procedures
- Regularly maintain programme management tools; spending plans, procurement plans and implementation plans
- Prepare weekly and monthly project progress reports for submission to Senior Protection Manager
- Contribute in the preparation of donor reports
- Participate in proposal development exercises
- Work closely with Senior Protection Manager to develop appropriate training materials, guidance and procedures for Protection Officers and Assistants.
- Maintain clear records and data on all aspects of implementation relating to all general protection, & mobile protection team activities.
- Participate in internal coordination meetings.
Staff Management & Technical Guidance
- Line manage Protection Officers.
- Provide oversight and supervision on the implementation of general protection activities, indirectly supervising Protection Assistants.
- Ensure Information and Support Centers (ISCs) and youth recreational centers are run in line with internationally recognized standards and guidance and a clear link is established with other PRoL activities.
- Maintain a clear strategy and plan for the integration, involvement, and supervision of Community based volunteers.
- Provide leadership support for successful implementation of and adherence to IRC Global HR Operating Policies and Procedures.
- Through field visits, monitor and evaluate activity delivery; engaging with staff, community members, provide technical guidance on quality and effectiveness of activity delivered.
- Clearly define training needs of the general protection team (including Community based volunteers) and lead or support the provision of required training.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit, oversight and guidance to staff enabling successful performance of duties.
- Ensure the dissemination of relevant information to all staff and volunteers within the team; weekly team meetings and ad hoc sessions.
- Lead with commitment, integrity, and accountability to the ‘IRC Way’- Global Standards for Professional Conduct
Representation, coordination, and advocacy
- Build and maintain relationships with others including INGOs, National NGOs, OPM, UNHCR and community stakeholders.
- Work closely with other managers in the PRoL team supporting collective leadership
- Work closely with IRC’s Women Protection and Empowerment, Economic Recovery & Development and Health Teams.
- Attend relevant coordination meetings and represent the PRoL team as required in relevant Inter- Agency engagements.
- All other duties as assigned ensuring compatibility with key competencies required for this role.
Minimum Qualifications for IRC Uganda Jobs 2022
- A Degree in a relevant field such as Sociology, Social Work, Law, Education and the Humanities is essential.
- At least 3-5 years of professional experience in leading protection programming and working with vulnerable individuals or communities.
- Experience in developing and managing Information support centers, Protection desks or Listening posts in communities and communities and youth recreational centers.
- Good knowledge of strategies for implementing protection interventions, including protection monitoring, information and counselling, protection incident case management and support to Persons with Specific Needs, community mobilization, communicating with communities and developing engagements with community leadership structures and youth groups.
- Experience working with other partners and functions e.g. settlement Coordinators, UNHCR and INGOs.
- Good background in Protection, knowledge of refugee context, as well as demonstrable ability in the integration of Information and referral points in protection programming
- Experience in leading and managing a diverse team.
- Experience writing reports, supporting proposal developments, managing a budget, developing procurement and work plans.
- Strong management and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently.
- Excellent ability to interpret, analyze and synthesize information in a fast‐paced environment.
- Good knowledge of general protection principles, strategies, and interventions.
- Excellent organizational skills, timeliness, ability to determine priorities and great attention to detail.
- Proactive, flexible, team spirited and willing to learn.
- Good computer skills including MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English.
How To Apply for IRC Uganda Jobs 2022
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications through the link below.
Deadline: June 10th 2022
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.