Administrative Assistant – USAID Uganda
Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Organization: USAID Uganda
Duty Station: Kampala
Roles and responsibilities
- Perform office management and administrative duties for the Deputy
Mission Director by ensuring policies and practices are implemented which
- Plan, establish prioritize, organize and carry out administrative
and clerical function including the preparation of drafts and finals for
various documents such as cables, letters, memoranda, reports, tables, or other
similar routine correspondence as requested.
- Review documents submitted for the Deputy Mission Director’s
signature to ensure that they are grammatically correct, free of spelling
or typographic errors and adhere to format.
- Ensure changes, new procedures, and decisions are made by the Deputy
Mission Director is communicated to the responsible office in a timely
- Maintain the Deputy Mission Director’s calendar and schedule of
appointments for meetings and conferences with Embassy staff, the
The government of Uganda, officials of other donor agencies, implementing
partners, and other public and private sector organizations.
- Ensure that priority meetings are scheduled, changes are made and
communicated in time with all concerned, and that conflicting bookings are
avoided at all times.
- Set up meetings and track appointments to ensure enough time for the
Deputy Mission Director to prepare for day-to-day activities and perform
other priority work.
- Remind the Deputy Mission Director to ensure his/her promptness.
- Control access to the Deputy Mission Director by screen telephone
calls and visitors, refereeing to other offices, when based on
considerable personal knowledge of the organization, objective and lines
of communication. Keep track of calls to be returned and using judgment
and initiative, place calls when appropriate and in a priority order.
- Assemble correspondence, reports, briefers, and other pertinent
background materials for the Deputy Mission Director to use in speeches,
presentations, and conferences.
- Prepare invitations and ensure they are promptly dispatched with
agendas or other related materials.
- Prepare correspondence and documents of a non-technical or
non-substantive nature as requested by the Mission Director.
- Research for background materials and data from offices and other
- Prepare requests for Motorpool transportation within and outside
Kampala for the Front Office and visiting personnel as well as hotel reservations
for visiting personnel.
- On a recurring basis, order and maintain an adequate stock of
supplies at all times arrange orders for office use.
- Maintain Front Office important information lists including guest
lists, current telephone lists, implementing partners and activities
lists, frequently us GOU, donor, POV/NGO, and other contacts for easy
- Coordinate representational functions.
- Screen publications, directives, periodicals, and newspapers.
- Communicate this information to Front Office staff and maintain a
file of correspondence and notes on significant events.
- Perform and coordinate a variety of secretarial, clerical, and
administrative duties especially when the Front Office Administrative
Assistant and other Office Managers are on vacation or sick leave and also
during particularly busy periods.
- Using automation, draft or prepare in final varied documents, with a
high standard of accuracy to reflect the professionalism of the respective
office and the Mission.
- Maintain a system of working files for the Front Office as well as
other offices when assigned.
- Manage time and attendance and leave schedules for the Front Office
as well as other offices when assigned.
Minimum Qualifications for this job:
- The applicant should have completed secondary school. Training in Secretarial or
business administration and other studies leading to a certificate in
computer applications is advantageous.
- Three years of progressively responsible work experience in a position that provided an opportunity for on-the-job training in protocol and diplomatic customs matter.
- On-the-job training in USAID procedures and regulations i.e. ADSes and automated word processing systems.
- Other training in computer software programs as available.
- Level IV ability (proficiency) written and oral communication skills is required.
- A good knowledge of the GOU protocol guides, general etiquette and protocol source references and USAID general secretarial and office practices, regulations
on unclassified correspondence control and handling and files management.
- Good knowledge of the English grammar, spelling and punctuation, good sense of document formats and layouts as well as mail handling instructions.
- Must have knowledge of the USAID organizational functions, personnel, and practices of the activities to which service is provided.
- A minimum of level II typing ability.
- Must be familiar with computer software such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Must be devoted to accuracy in overall work approach or willing to learn fast.
- Must project professional, courteous, and client-oriented skills to successfully handle and facilitate both telephone and visitors to the office(s) and perform in
a cross-cultural and interagency environment.
- Offers must be submitted as detailed in Section IV of the solicitation document and shall include:
- A typed and signed (hand or electronic signature) (around Section 6 – Declaration) DS-174 Employment Application for Locally Employed Staff or Family Member ( https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds174.pdf; Version Exp. 06/2022).
- Cover letter (addressed to the USAID Supervisory Executive Officer) clearly indicating the position for which you are applying and describing how you meet the minimum requirements.
- Completed curriculum vitae/resume as detailed in the solicitation document.
- Supplemental [separate] document specifically addressing each QRF as outlined in the solicitation.
- Copies of Academic Transcripts
- All offers must be e-mailed to: email@example.com on or before October 4, 2022:4:45 PM local time.
- Offers should be in Adobe Acrobat (.pdf). No other file types will be accepted. All documents should be scanned into one (1) document (one (1) ATTACHMENT) which should not exceed 10MB.
ONLY ELECTRONIC SUBMISSIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED AND ONLY SHORT-LISTED OFFERORS WILL BE CONTACTED
Closing Date: 4th October 2022
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Subscribe to Blog via Email
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.