Extension Workers  – Send A Cow Uganda
Deadline: 19th August 2016
Position title: Extension Workers , Agriculture – The Oil Seeds Project – Iganga Field Office
Employer: Send A Cow Uganda
Location: Iganga Field office
Send a Cow has been working with rural communities in Uganda since 1988 and is currently working in 42 districts. In Uganda Send a Cow works with vulnerable households targeting orphans, people with disabilities, poor rural women, and out of school youth, to overcome poverty and malnutrition by increasing agricultural productivity, developing on and off- farm enterprises, increasing access to finance services, building resilience to climate change and other shocks and addressing gender inequality.
With support from the Government of Uganda and USAID, Send a Cow Uganda (SACU) will be implementing The Oil Seeds Project and Busoga Disability Project respectively. SACU is now seeking experienced individuals with a passion to work with the rural poor to fill the following positions.
Reports to: Projects Coordinator
Overall Responsibility and Job Purpose:
Ensure successful delivery of the project, relationships with Farmer Groups, Disability People’s Organisations (DPOs), liaison with Project Partners and District Authorities, and oversight and information to enable management of budgets, plans and donor contracts.
The Agriculture Extension Worker should have a good overview of the breadth of the Send a Cow Programme, but will have a prime responsibility for the Sustainable Agriculture aspects of the project.
- Liaise with NUWODU and its agents (DPOs) and participate in identifying girls and women with disabilities and prepare them for economic strengthening activities.
- Mobilise and train farmer groups in financial literacy, sustainable agriculture, credit, and other aspects of the project.
- Implement programme interventions as determined by the Project Coordinator in line with the Project Plan, and monitor progress and impact in the project. Compile and submit project and programme financial and narrative reports in a timely manner. Ensure that all stakeholders meet and review progress at regular intervals to ensure project and donor budgets, work-plans and outcomes are on target.
- Support the Project Coordinator as required to ensure the project is delivered on time and within the budget parameters.
- Provide information as required to ensure effective management of donor contract against plan, budget and logframe, timely delivery of reports.
- Manage projects funds requests and accountability for the area of operation in accordance with project standards and budgets.
- Timely update of shared databases
- Work directly with Farmer Groups so they are fully engaged in the development of plans, monitoring and reporting.
- Regularly monitor and assess the growth of the groups in line with SAC group development guidelines
- Contribute to grant proposals as required
- Ensure good networking and collaboration relationships with government and other development partners in the project area.
- Execute any other duties assigned by Supervisor.
Qualifications and experiences
- Relevant Diploma or Bachelors level qualification
- Field development experience involving application of sustainable agriculture methodologies esp in NGOs.
- Knowledge in extension services delivery
- Experience of monitoring and managing budgets and work plans
- Knowledge of environmental good practice
- Knowledge of microfinance and/or VSLA methodology.
- Experience of community work with people with disabilities
Skills and abilities
- Ability to encourage and enable the rural poor, working within their communities
- Ability to deliver training programmes
- Good communication skills
- Report writing skills
- Basic Excel and Database skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good networking skills.
- Able to work well with government and DPOs and other development partners.
- Have empathy with Send a Cow’s Christian foundation and core values
- An initiator and self driven
- A team builder and developer
- A good eye for detail
- A team player. Flexible.
- Understands the importance of confidentiality
o you possess programme leadership experience, NGO background and would like to join an organization that will enable you find creative and innovate solutions to the challenges that we face? Follow the links below.
To apply, please email a completed application form and three key achievements to email@example.com clearly indicating the position and project name as the subject.Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.