Duty Station: Mubende, Busia, Kisoro, Bugiri, Tororo and Kiryandongo, Uganda
Reports to: Regional Editor/Bureau Chief
Monitor Publications Limited (MPL), a Nation Media Group Company is Uganda’s most influential media house, operating The Daily Monitor, Saturday Monitor and Sunday Monitor newspapers, 93.3KFM, 90.4 Dembe FM, Nation Couriers and the Monitor Business Directory.
Job Summary: The Upcountry Stringer will cover events, write and submit factual and balanced stories in the assigned beat/title for publication within set deadlines.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Prepares reports and writes news for the assigned title/ beat in finished form, so that no major rewrite is required or no extensive additional report is needed.
· Takes notes on location, carries out interviews, checks facts and tape records as the case may be; writes news on own initiative, choice and judgment or at the direction of the news editor.
· Ensures that the material written reflects a thorough understanding of the MPL’s style of journalism as defined in the editorial policy guidelines and objectives, the house style and the journalistic code of ethical journalism.
· The incumbent researches and provides background information to make copy complete,
· Briefs the regional editor/bureau chief on stories gathered and writes the selected ones within set deadlines.
· Follows news leads and maintains close contacts with news sources.
· Continually builds his/her contacts list and demonstrate its value with consistent exclusive reports or information.
· Regularly responds promptly to breaking news.
· Ensures correctness of facts, content and style of his/her news materials.
· Closely co-operates with photographers from whom he/ she orders pictures on the issues he/she covers.
· Performs both independently and under supervision in accordance with general principles and directives.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicants should hold Diplomas or its equivalent from a recognised institution. A University Degree is an added advantage.
· Passion for writing coupled with a keen news sense
· Possesses broad knowledge of local and regional issues and/or depth of knowledge in beat specialty.
· Ability to work accurately and under pressure
· Computer literacy skills
· Keen eye for detail
· Excellent spelling, grammar and punctuation skills.
· Must be able to deal effectively with simultaneous tasks.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications, detailed CVs and academic documents with daytime telephone number via E-mail to: email@example.com
NB: Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 11th November 2016