Job Title: 12 Research Assistants – Carleton University Uganda Jobs 2021
Organization: Carleton University
Job Location: Kampala, Nakivale Refugee Settlement and Bidi Bidi Refugee Settlement, Uganda
Carleton University Profile:
Canada’s Capital University, Carleton University is a dynamic research and teaching institution dedicated to achieving the highest standards of scholarship.
We are looking to award 12 consultancies for Research Assistants in Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda to support the implementation of the study “Evaluation of Refugee-Led Organisations in Eastern Africa.” The consultancies are funded by a consortium of donors through research grants to Carleton University through Local Engagement Refugee Research Network (LERRN)and in partnership with the Refugee Studies Centre (RSC)at the University of Oxford.
The Research Assistant positions are designed for candidates who hold refugee status or are otherwise affected by displacement (e.g., as asylum seekers, IDPs, stateless persons, former refugees, etc). The Research Assistants will work from their place of residence. There will be no travel as part of this assignment.
The Research assistants will arrange and support field interviews as appropriate to the study, and record research data in accordance with specified protocol and procedures.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Completing a training in research ethics;
- Identifying and recruiting eligible participants for 15 Focus group Discussion (FGD) for the study, using the criteria for selection and under the supervision of the Lead Researcher. All FGDs will have a minimum of 5 participants;
- Developing or assisting in the development of interview schedules; contacting potential participants to introduce and explain study objectives and protocol, and to arrange interviews, either in person or by telephone;
- Collecting informed consent documents from study participants;
- Facilitating face-to-face and/or assisting telephone interviews with study participants, in accordance with predetermined interview protocol, data collection procedures, and documentation standards;
- Coding, verifying note taking and transcribing data in accordance with specified research protocol and coding procedures, and entering data into a tablet/computer database and/or spreadsheet application for subsequent analysis;
- Reviewing and editing data to ensure completeness and accuracy of information; follow up with participants to resolve problems or clarify data collected;
- Completing interview memos at the conclusion of each interview;
- Reviewing audio recordings to ensure high quality data capture;
- Fill out the field-work journal on weekly basis;
- Send recorded audio and interview memos to Lead Researcher for review and transcription;
- Ensure all study procedures follow ethical standards;
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- A minimum of college Diploma in Social sciences, business, economics, IT and other related fields. A Bachelor Degree in social sciences or in the IT field are desirable.
- At least one year of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
- Effective communication in English and at least one local working language of the refugee community of the relevant location. Knowledge of the national language of the country is desirable.
- Kampala: Somali and/or Kinyarwanda and English are mandatory. Kiswahili is desirable.
- Nakivale Refugee Settlement: Kinyarwanda and/or, Somali and English are mandatory. Kiswahili is desirable.
- Bidi Bidi Refugee Settlement: Arabic and/or Bari and English are mandatory. Kiswahili is desirable.
- Excellent IT skills to facilitate online meetings.
- Adequate knowledge of the study location.
- Knowledge of planning and scheduling techniques.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Prior experience supporting focus group discussions and/or research interviews.
- Interviewing and data collection skills including note taking and transcription skills.
- Computer data entry skills.
- Ability to evaluate, verify, and edit research data.
How To Apply for Carleton University Uganda Jobs 2021
To apply, please send the following materials to RLOea.email@example.com with the subject line “Research Assistant” by 4 October 2021:
- CV (2 pages maximum)
- Letter of application outlining your research experience and why you are interested in this position (not more than 1 page)
All applicants will be contacted and informed of the outcome of their application. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to participate in a remote interview.
Deadline: 4th October 2021
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
Subscribe to Blog via Email
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.