Job Title: Legal Officer (Law Jobs Uganda 2017)
Law Jobs Uganda 2017: The Legal Officer provides direct legal support to victims of forced migration and carries out policy advocacy on forced migration. The Legal Officer also provides technical support to RLP in relation to Legal work through an active contribution in defining Legal priorities on research, partnership, alliance building and advocacy. Job title: Legal Officer 
The Refugee Law Project (RLP) is an outreach project of the School of Law, Makerere University. Our Mission is to empower asylum seekers, refugees, deportees, IDPs and host communities to enjoy their human rights and lead dignified lives. The Refugee Law Project has a wide physical presence with offices in the districts of Kampala, Hoima, Mbarara, Gulu and Kitgum.
Reports to: Programme Manager,
Access to Justice Programme: Access to Justice Area of Placement: Kampala (with possibility of transfer to other field offices)
Key Result Areas and Tasks
KPA 1: Direct Legal
- Aid As a direct legal service provider, the Legal Officer represents forced migrant clients before the courts of law and other institutions;
- Provide legal advice to forced migrants and support migrant groups;
- Identify and make referrals for resettlement of clients as per established procedure;
- Facilitate Alternative Dispute Resolution among conflicting parties;
- Conduct Legal aid clinics to the refugee settlements to provide onspot legal aid services; and make appropriate referrals for legal and alternative support
KPA 2: Research and Advocacy
- The Legal Officer will conduct research, documentation, and publication on issues of access to Justice as they relate to forced migrants and forced migration;
- Prepare legal opinions and advice on general issues of forced migration that may arise from time to time;
- Conduct trainings for government duty bearers and forced migrants;
- Develop information, Education and Communication Materials relating to Access to Justice
KPA 3: Networking
- The Legal Officer will organize and facilitate information sessions and dialogues with forced migrants and other stakeholders;
- Coordinate networking with other stakeholders in the provision of legal aid, including but not limited to Government institutions, UNCHR, among others;
- Initiate, review and advice on MOUs between the RLP and other partner organizations as necessary.
KPA 4: Fundraising
- As a sustainability mechanisms, the Legal Officer will support in fundraising through in developing technical narratives for purposes of project design;
- Participate in identification of new lines of intervention that facilitate fundraising; and Work with Grants team to identify funding sources relevant to the programme work
- Ability to think and write conceptually, convincingly and strategically;
- Ability to engage in advocacy at both local and national level ;
- Ability to give timely report on activities undertaken;
- Ability to work under pressure with minimum supervision;
- Creative and innovative skills; Great interpersonal skills and high level of selfmotivation;
- Excellent skills in MS Office applications and good communication and presentation skills. ;
- Good touch typing skills of at least 30Words Per Minute;
- Fluency in Kiswahili and/or any other language spoken in refugee communities will be an added advantage
Necessary Education and Experience
- Bachelors Degree in Law from a recognized university
- Completion of a Bar Course and possesses a Practicing certificate
- Experience in representing clients before courts of law or any other governing bodies.
- Experience in engaging with key partners on legal related issues
- Knowledge of any language spoken in refugee communities will be an added advantage
If you are interested and meet the above requirements, submit a motivation letter and curriculum vitae electronically to: email@example.com.
The position applied for MUST be indicated in the subject line of the email. Copies of certificates should not be attached, but will be requested for from short-listed candidates only. RLP is a Non-discriminating and Results Oriented organization so we provide an equal chance for all.
Deadline: Friday 7th April 2017 at 5.00pm
You will receive a confirmation email of receipt from the Human Resources Unit upon successful submission. Thereafter, if you meet the basic requirements for shortlist, you will be notified for the next step in selection assessment.
Law Jobs Uganda 2017 – Fresher Legal Officer at The Refugee Law Project