Job Title: English Teaching Volunteer – Volunteer Uganda Jobs
Organization: Beacon of Hope Uganda
Volunteer Uganda Jobs: Beacon of Hope Uganda is looking for a volunteer English teacher for our local primary school in Uganda. This is an enriching and satisfying experience where the volunteer gets the opportunity to teach children who are eager to improve their conversational English skills. Beacon of Hope Uganda operates primary schools in needy communities in Uganda. Depending on school size, class numbers vary from 15-60 in a class.
About Beacon of Hope Uganda
Beacon of Hope Uganda is a community based humanitarian service and sustainable rural development organization founded in 2006 with a vision to help those least able to help themselves. To help achieve this vision, we are focused on a range of programs in Uganda, including: education, micro-finance and small business support, job skills / leadership development and training, health, environment and more.
- The Volunteer will work primarily as an instructor of English in our school.
- The Volunteer may also be asked to assist in other school activities such as sports and other extra-curricular projects
- The placement consists of teaching the subject of English to school children for 2 to 4 lessons of a day, with each period running for 45 minutes.
- The English volunteer teacher will be required to teach 5 days a week. Saturday and Sunday are days off for the volunteer to enjoy some free time and there are occasional public holidays during the school term.
- A local teacher will assist you in conducting classes during your first week to address any language barriers or concerns that may arise. You will be asked to run the class once the children become familiar with you. The Volunteer shouldn’t be concerned about what to teach, as all schools in Uganda follow a curriculum that can be implicated in teaching.
- However, if one is confident enough, you are more than welcome to apply your own teaching blueprint. If you have additional skills in extra-curricular activities such as: teaching games, music, painting, singing, dancing, yoga, martial arts etc, then you are most welcome to incorporate this into the teaching English program
Required Volunteer Qualifications
- No qualifications necessary, other than the ability to speak English.
- Minimum age to volunteer independently is 18 years old for the volunteering in Uganda program.
- We also accommodate both large and small groups.
How to apply
If you are interested in volunteering with us, please complete the volunteer application form