Plan International Uganda Jobs 2022 – Country Office Accountant
Job Title: Country Office Accountant – Plan International Uganda Jobs 2022
Organization: Plan International Uganda
Job Location: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Finance Manager, Controls & Accounting
Supervises: Assistant Accountant
Plan International Profile:
Plan International was founded over 75 years ago and is one of the oldest and largest children’s development organizations (non-profit / INGOs) in the world. We work in 50 developing countries across Africa, Asia and the Americas to promote child rights and lift millions of children out of poverty. Plan’s vision is of a world in which all children realize their full potential in societies that respect people’s rights and dignity. Plan is independent, with no religious, political or governmental affiliations.
The purpose of this role is to provide financial and accounting services to support the operations of the Plan International Uganda to implement financial processes to support the efficient utilisation of resources including intercompany, fixed assets and payment processes. in accordance with Plan financial policy / procedures and donor requirements.
The role provides support to Finance function by ensuring that all information is updated in the relevant Plan International Uganda Systems supports management decisions making to enhance the effectiveness of activities to support achievement of Plan International Uganda’s strategy. The incumbent will be responsible for the Assistant Accountant and supporting donor compliance at all levels according to Plan International Uganda’s approved policies / procedures and donor requirements.
The Country Office Accountant provides management support all aspects of financial management ensuring accuracy, transparency, accountability, effective financial management and compliance in all aspects of Plan International Uganda’s financial transactions. The role provides support to the Accounting & Control Team based in the Country Office and provide adequate management information to the project/program managers.
The role involves considering the treasury, cash management, accounting and cost implications of operational plans, advising projects teams on how to achieve optimal results.
The key challenges for this position is working with the guidance of laws and regulations, policies and procedures to deliver work.
- Timeliness and accuracy in financial reporting
- Adherence to the financial guidelines
- Accountability of advanced funds
Level of contact with children: This position has been classified as “low contact”: Limited interaction with children
Roles and Responsibilities for Plan International Uganda Jobs 2022:
- Take lead in the coordination, preparation and monitoring of the Country Office budget ensuring that its operations are consolidated
- Coordinate the preparation of annual Country Office operations budget; consolidating and regularly updating Country Office annual budgets
- Ensure all financial commitments are controlled against approved budgets by consolidating and updating annual budgets and reviewing project outlines in the accounting system.
- Ensure all planned Program Unit Shared cost contributions from Grant funding are recovered within the planned periods
- Prepare and analyse financial management information to support decision making
- Receive and process payment requests in the Country Office in line with PIU’s policies and statutory requirements:
- Updating the SAP system on a timely manner; clearing all payments in SAP according to the financial procedures
- Upload payments on the online banking payment platform / mobile money platforms and notify delegated authorisers for approval as per the set Delegation Of Authority
- Ensure that all the payment requests are fully supported prior to approval, processing and entry into the system
- Manage the Country Office ledgers to ensure that transactions have been done correctly, allocated to the corresponding grant, and that all statutory payments have been made
- Manage all splitting of costs against budget line and in the intercompany account
- Supervise, coach and train finance staffs in Plan’s systems, procedures and policies and also supports in the recruitment of new finance staff
Cash & Bank Account Management
- Manage the Country Office bank account and the Petty Cash to ensure sufficient funds are available to support area operations:
- Coordinate the transfer of funds from Country Office to Programme Area; ensuring compliance to the cash management and banking policy management
- Manage the Petty cash advanced to the various officers, ensure its compliant to petty cash policy
- Reviews and processes expense submissions/reconciliations, and processes country office payments
- Prepares monthly cash forecasts and refresh for the program area in line with Plan Uganda’s finance guidelines.
- Prepare timely accounts reconciliations to ensure cash is available to support the operations of PIU
Risk & Compliance Management
- Manage business processes and ensure compliance with internal and external laws, and statutory requirements adhered to and all transactions compliant to PIU’s financial policies
- Monitor all area transactions to ensure that they are all compliant to PIU’s policies and all non compliance is promptly highlighted
- Ensure Financial assets, liabilities, income and expenditure are accounted for accurately and on a timely basis
- Reviews payment requests for accuracy, proper coding and completeness in line with the check list of requirements
- Effect all statutory deductions and remit to relevant organizations as per statutory deadlines eg PAYE, WHT, NSSF
- Coordinate all projects, Grants and statutory audits; to ensure timely provision of the necessary information and documentation that would be required
- Effect statutory deductions from service provider’s payments and remits to relevant organizations as per statutory deadlines
Safeguarding, Gender Equality & Inclusion
Ensure that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with regulations.
Minimum Qualifications for Plan International Uganda Jobs 2022:
- Bachelor’s Degree (Hons) in Commerce or Business Administration majoring in Accounting
- Professional qualification in accountancy (CPA, ACCA)
- Minimum of three years working experience as an Accountant in a busy organization and at a responsible supervisory level is essential
Myself as a Leader
Courageous in taking a lead, challenging self and others on their attitudes, assumptions, unconscious bias and behaviour; speaks positively about change and supports others in adjusting to it.
Sets and communicates ambitious but realistic work goals and priorities, explaining how these contribute to Plan International’s purpose.
Open & Accountable
Maximises our progress by aligning work priorities and resource deployment in own area with Plan International’s wider goals and longer term direction.
Work Well Together
Creates a positive team spirit, helping people work well together as a team; proactively resolves situations of conflict by generating solutions that will work for all involved; deliberately adjusts own behaviour to influence or persuade others.
Inclusive & Empowering
Appreciates the expertise and creativity of others; actively seeks out others’ views and incorporates their insights or perspectives into decision-making and action-planning.
Skills & Knowledge
Motivates and develops others by taking an interest, giving constructive feedback and praise, ensuring they are properly trained and helping them develop their potential
Critical Business Management Competencies
- Good grasp of financial management including understanding relevant funding sources, ability to budget and accurately estimate costs, experience with reading financial reports and taking appropriate action based on the results.
- Strong ability to analyse and interpret an appropriate range of data and evidence, both internal and external, using sound judgement to make balanced decisions, based on insights gained, or projection of trends.
- Good digital skills, for instance [name relevant tools/platforms]; ability to use ICT resources to improve work efficiency and effectiveness, whilst working in line with privacy and safeguarding guidelines.
- Experience of identifying and mitigating business or project risks; ability to undertake and interpret risk assessments with a track record of actively managing risks appropriately in context, taking professional advice or escalating where appropriate.
- Good written and spoken communication skills, including in [any required language], with an ability to effectively adjust content and presentation so as to connect with an audience.
- Experience of leading others with a track record of delegating work effectively, supporting good performance of others and promoting staff wellbeing and motivation.
Critical Technical Competencies
- Excellent computer skills with the ability to work with SAP or other ERPs.
- Practical experience of grants management and a good understanding of donor funding management.
How To Apply for Plan International Uganda Jobs 2022
All candidates should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 31st August 2022
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
Subscribe to Blog via Email
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.